Saturday, March 31, 2018

February Design: Fingerless Gloves and Blanket/Pillow Set

Fingerless gloves were my first official project of February. Tracy commented on Facebook that she needed another pair, so I decided to make her some in trade for some sewing she will do for me down the line.

Fingerless gloves are generally rather simple. You pick a stitch pattern you like, figure out your length, and then go at it leaving a hole for the thumb. Unless you want them to look a bit more tidy, in which case you add a thumb gusset. I went with a thumb gusset.


Easy as these are in general, I ended up having to make these twice to get them right. I usually make fingerless gloves very tight, as I prefer them that way, so in an effort to not do too tight, I went with too loose. This also ended up making the cable not be centered in the final product. I had actually given them to Tracy, but it kept bugging me throughout the day so I offered a remake. I'm glad I did.
My other project for February (since fingerless gloves take comparatively little time) was a blanket and pillow set. Blankets don't take too much "designing" you just pick a stitch pattern and then do a gauge so you get the width right. 
I went with a fairly simple stitch pattern because the yarn I used fluctuated a lot in width, and any lace pattern would be lost. (In this picture the blanket wasn't actually done, hence it not being entirely in the frame. I didn't really finish it until March...)

The pillows, on the other hand, had some interesting design qualities. I used the provisional cast on method which creates live stitches on both sides of your cast on. This enabled me to pick those stitches up and work in the round, creating seamless edges at the bottom and sides of my pillows.
See? You can't even tell that that is my cast on, can you? Ah, I love it. The top though wasn't as seamless. There is a weaving bind-off method that is invisible, but I forgot about it when I was working on this. 
Ah well.

Over all, I was pleased with the pillows. The blanket didn't end up as large as I wanted (maybe I do need to spend more design time on it...), but overall success. And this yarn is so deliciously soft!





No comments:

Post a Comment